Hands-On Boating Lesson
This is the only hands-on boating safety lesson in the Keys. You learn how to: a) dock a boat in different situations, b) drop and retrieve an anchor, c) understand weather, wind, and tides and d) drive a boat. Just one tip from this three hour session could pay for the entire lesson.
100% Hands-On Boating Safety Lesson
You are thinking about buying a motor boat, or you bought one, but you don’t have the experience to comfortably head out on the water by yourself. Or, you might want to rent a boat without having to hire a captain.
With Keys Boat Tours, based out of Big Pine Key, you learn how to: a) dock a boat in different situations, b) drop and retrieve an anchor, c) understand weather, wind, and tides, and d) drive a boat with confidence. You also have the option to learn how to properly trailer a boat (1 hour). You put the boat in and take it out. We start by taking a look at a chart (and a gps). We review some physical aspects to the boating safety course and some other practical advice. We review local navigation, so that you truly understand markers and don’t run aground. This is a “must take” course for: a) anyone who is not 100% confident in operating a boat, b) anyone who is buying/purchased a boat, and c) anyone who wants to boat safely and properly. Hands-on training is required for all. Classroom lessons are great, but this is the test.
This first of its kind, official hands-on boating course is; 3-1/2hours, up to 2 individuals for $375. It includes a booklet with valuable fishing 101 tips. The lesson takes place on Big Pine Key. But, we also offer to come to you and use your boat for an additional $100. We introduce you to your boat (and boating playground), and can even put tracks on “your” GPS. This 3-1/2 hour “private” lesson will get you started like nothing else.
We also offer: sailing 101, fishing 101, and local / backcountry navigation 101 lessons. You will gain lots of confidence from what you learn too – guaranteed. Makes a great gift!
|1 Person||$350||Price for 1 person for 3-1/2 hours|
|2 People||$375||Price for 2 people for 3-1/2 hours|
|Extra Time||+$75||Per hour|
- Basics and Tips
- In this 3 hour course we trailer the boat in and out. You learn the basics about GPS; reading a chart and setting routes. We review some workbook materials but 100% of the time, or 3 hours is hands-on. You drive, navigate, anchor, and dock. The boat you train on is a 2004 18' Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser Flats Boat with a Yamaha 115 four stroke outboard, complete with a Garmin touch screen GPS. Satisfaction s guaranteed. We have not had a dissatisfied customer yet.
- KBT Boating Guide & Fishing Tips booklet
- GPS overview
- Charts overview
- Ice Chest
Things you might want to bring along
Sunglasses, towel, hat, sunscreen, water bottle, neck bib, long sleeve shirt, wind breaker, bandana, snacks.
- A signed release waiver, and cash or credit card payment, is required prior to boarding.
- If prone to seasickness, we recommend that you take Dramamine (or other) the night before.
- We want you to drink plenty of water, have something to eat, and use sunscreen liberally.